Authors Note: 12th August 2017. Balme Library.Seminar Room.University of Ghana, Legon.I attended skill shop’17 to support a friend. Here is what happened.Enjoy!
Timing wasn’t the best.
First Speaker : Kofi Osei Kusi
Skill- Ability to do something really well.Skill is developed through observation mentoring, reading, practising, risk taking etc.
SKILLS FOR SUCCESS
1. Perfecting your P.V.C – Purpose(discovery), Vision(Future), Career(Long term fulfilling job).
2. Goal setting skills (S.M.A.R.T).
3. Entreprenuerial skills (Ideal College Founder success story. He started with extra classes on legon ended with schools in most regions of ghana.)
5.Faith skills(Donald Trump believed he could win and he did.The woman who goes to China to get wares to buy/sell has faith despite all the tragedies that could occur).
6. Self confidence Skills(Dreams die because of lack of self confidence).
7.Communication skills. (85% of success)
8.Financial management, discipline and savings skills.
9.Selling, Marketing(creating an awareness, branding & persuasion skills(Mirroring can be a great tool of persuasion).
10. Negotiation skills
11. Leadership skills & corporate governance skills, emotional intelligence (Ndoum, Trump, Branson)
12.High Humility quotient is very important
13. Fast Learning skills
14. Mathematical skills
15. Time management
17. Skill to move from idea to implementation
18. Service focus problem solving dkills
19. Intergrity skills.
20. Toughness( Do the abnormal and uncomfortable. It prepares you for every situation).
21. Parenting Skills.
BITS & PIECES
Success never ends.Much like self actualisation.
Spoken Word from Phillip Lawson
SPEAKER 2 : FRED N. MOORE( C.E.O, AGS Ghana).He left Ghana and returned about 4 years ago.
NB: Feel free to google some of the business-y words. I sure did!
Topic: Finance and Performance indicators.
1. Passion- enthuasiasm about your product, Working with people who share your vision.Be flexible( everchanging , adapt your services for current conditions)
2.Balance and positive attitude. Einsten said success= work + play + talk.Those who add no value take value from you.
3. Understand your strengths and weaknesses. Be realistic.
“Money shouldn’t be a reason you become an entreprenuer”.
i) Unit cost- What goes into your work?
ii)Daily revenue schedule
iii)Daily expenditure schedule
iv) Sales numbers
v) Break even point
vi) Cost containment
2.Use data in decision making.
Capture data with which you work. And make effective use of these data in your work.
Key Performance indicators
1.Unit cost and pricing
7.Sales quantity and value.
PHD – Pull him down syndrome.The envious attitude of Ghanaians is a crippling disease. If you are thinking of setting up a business in Ghana think of/ know the group of people you targeting ( lower class folk, Mass markets, the 3%)
Presentation of citations to ;
Dr. Kofi Osei Kusi.
Mr. Fred Moore.
ARTS AND POETRY BREAK OUT SESSION WITH CHIEF MOOMEN OF HERITAGE THEATRE SERIES
1. Discovery of artsistic self.- Everyone has that moment they discover their artistic self.It can be spintaneous or a process
2. Understanding of art- Know a lot about your art.Read
3. Practice- Practice makes you better
4. Personality- Discover your independent and unique voice as a writer
5.Purpose- Why do you Write?
We must deconstruct these wrong ideas.Elevate the African Standard.Where Africanness is trendy.
PRESENTATION OF CITATIONS TO FACILITATORS
Chief Moomen accepts his citation.
Sedinam receives his citation.I actually sat next to him not knowing he was in fact a facilitator.Just graduated but facilitating a digital marketing session.(Herh. Some of us are joking oo)
Ms.Brigidi.Her final advice to her group was “dress well”or something like that.
MORE COLOURFUL POETRY BY PHILLIP AND JIMMY
Note:Phillip J. Lawson recited the poems as Jimmy drew Oprah Winfrey on a board behind him. P.J. Lawson performed about five pieces.I am still amazed at how flawless and comfortable he was with his peformance.
J.p Lawson in full swing
A MESSAGE FROM THE ORGANISERS.Challengesworldwide.Find them here.
Program Manager speaking
AFTERNOON BREAK OUT SESSION WITH ISRAEL FUGAH OF 1BILLION AFRICA.
Topic: Technology and essential applications/softwares .Find 1billion here
Israel’s Most useful apps
2.Flip board( for readers.you can find many articles here.)
9. Video scribe
NOTE: Unfortunately my phone run out so I didn’t get pictures for the following.
PRESENTATION OF CITATIONS TO FACILITATORS OF BREAK OUT SESSIONS.
There was a challenge where 5 people pictched their ideas for business.Ghana mmaa won.I think she recieved an African print clutch/bag? from Giddins.It was a sort of fashion project concerned with getting women looking and feeling good whilst pregnant.
FACTORS CONSIDERED BY JUDGES OF THE ABOVE CHALLENGE WERE ;
1. An identifiable name of the project
2.The how factor.How do you seek to achieve the goals
3.Appeal for support
4.Relevance of the project
A lot of thank yous.To sponsors(Giddins, challengesworldwide, e-juice for refreshment) to speakers, audience to organisers, volunteers etc. (This was awesome!)…..To you for reading what you missed